College Level Education
To be considered for this course, as a minimum you will need 5 GCSE’s, or equivalent at C grade and above. Preferably this will include English and Maths, although pathways are available to those that just miss out on a C Grade in these core subjects.
- BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma in Sport (Performance & Excellence) – worth up to 3 A Levels, and will facilitate an entrance into University.
- GCSE English and/or Maths ‐ For those who just miss out on a C grade in English and/or Mathematics, we provide tuition to retake these all important qualifications. Essential for those that want to move on to University.
- Functional skills level 2 in English and/or Maths – For those that missed out on GCSE English and/or Mathematics, functional skills may be the best route for progression.
- A BTEC National Extended Diploma is traditionally made up of a series of units, including:
- During the course you will cover the following subjects:
- Year 1
- Principles of Anatomy & Physiology
- The Physiology of Fitness
- Assessing Risk in Sport
- Fitness Training for Sport & Exercise
- Fitness Testing for Sport & Exercise
- Sport Nutrition
- Psychology for Sports Performance
- Analysis of Sports Performance
- Technical & Tactical Skills in Sport
- The Athlete’s Lifestyle
- Year 2
- Sports Coaching
- Current Issues in Sport
- Practical Team Sport
- Instructing Physical Activity & Exercise
- Talent Identification & Development in Sport
- Sports Injuries
- Work Experience in Sport
- Rules, Regulations & Officiating in Sport
- Sport as a Business
Students develop their skills through theory and practical sessions, group and personal tutorials. The BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma programme will be made up of 50% classroom-based sessions and 50% practical sessions.
Students will put together a portfolio of evidence for the eighteen units of the BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma. This will be assessed internally and verified externally. Evidence will consist of a combination of assignments, reports, poster presentations, formal observations and practical assessments.
On successful completion of Years 1 and 2, students will be awarded the BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Sport which is equivalent to 3 A Levels. On completion of the two years students will be able to progress onto the RUFC Academy HND programme – link to HND course info
The Sports Brain is an online learning platform, that is accessible to all students and teaching staff at the RUFC Academy.
Students can access their work anywhere, any time; complete their theory units and submit work online. The brain allows teaching staff the capability to mark work online, therefore creating instantaneous feedback accessible to their students.
Each student has immediate access to their performance data including, measurement of progress towards minimum target grade and the time taken to receive feedback.
All learners are able to access their grades, assignments and feedback from home and keep parents up to ate with their progress on the course.